Friday, April 6, 2018

Week 28... I think.

Hello all! We had a wonderful first week back to school. The class has been working so hard Mrs. Cameron and I have been so impressed! Things to note for next week:
-Monday: Swimming lesson registration is due!
-Tuesday: I will be sending an information sheet home from AHS about the printing/motor movement module we will be starting in a few weeks with the Occupational Therapist assistant.
-Wednesday: Library day and Popcorn day
-Friday: Spelling test

Language: We have been working on our daily reading comprehension pages this week. We have been using the 5W question words lots this week to try and get more comfortable to pull the information out. We have been practicing pulling the keywords from the question to help us find the answer in the text. We also started working with S and L blend words. We will be continuing with this next week. 

Math: The beginning of the week the students did a brief addition and subtraction review with the substitute teacher. When I returned I introduced our measuring unit to the kids. We looked at using pencils as a measuring tool this week. What inconsistencies did we come across if we used two different sized pencils, how do we accurately measure using this tool etc. We introduced the terms longer, shorter and the same when comparing two different items.

Science: We started working through our spring season workbook. We focused on the different weather changes that are going to happen as the season comes around. We also did cross-curricular looking at using and reading compound words that have rain in it.

Social: In social we have began to look more closely at our own families. We looked at our full names this week and how each of ours in unique. I told them the story of why I have the hyphenated name yet I am still a Miss, I also told them the story of why my parents chose my first and middle name. I have sent home a questionnaire today that requires your help to teach your kiddo why you chose their first and last name. On the back ignore the part about the family tree in the instructions, however please take the time to teach your child about their name as well as about when and why they moved to this community. I was quite shocked how many kiddos did not know their middle name or how to spell their last name. We had to log into good old PowerSchool to look many of them up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment